The Edinburgh Fringe Photographer is Back

All the News, Views and Reviews from the High Street during the Edinburgh Fringe 2011. If you're on it you could be in it!

Tuesday 5 July 2011

Diamond Dick by Papertape Theatre


I'm drawn by beauty, drawn by passion, drawn by the love of art to shows I see during the Fringe.
I'm a film fan through and through. Theatre is only something I touch on during the Fringe; and even then only on
the odd occasion.

Papertape Theatre's production of Diamond Dick had me hooked on the High Street day one. I knew I had to see it.
This fine cast; new to the perils and pitfalls of the Mile took to their task of promotion
as if veterans of many long campaigns.

On a day when all movement on the High Street was at snails pace I had to escape and escape I did into a world I love
and know through the medium of film.

The beauty of Diamond Dick throughout the show is the duality. The mask of Hollywood then and the Hollywood now.
The in jokes I laughed at on the inside. They were telling tales of the twenties and thirties cinema you have to know
to get the whole picture.
But the excellence in writing and direction means you don't to love the show.

The audience laughed,the moments of transition between the reality of on set relationships to that of on screen chemistry
were gems of cinematic brilliance.A true picture as much now between what is seen on camera and what is not.
I watched as these actors and actresses played their parts slipping between their on screen and on set characters with ease.
Creating and crafting a Fringe gem. That Diamond of the title.

Must see, of course. I don't do bad shows. And for those that follow and know my rating system. A five film show; for all the effort both on and off the set.






No comments:

Post a Comment